Monday, October 6, 2008

Introduction

Some may think that the perfect example of a fraternity is shown in the famous 1978 movie Animal House. Some may believe that members of a fraternity are inclusive and drink every night. Some may feel that you are “paying for your friends” in a fraternity. Somewhat going against my parents wishes of waiting, I pledged the Alpha Tau Omega fraternity my fall semester of my freshman year. I was later initiated in December and forever became a Tau. After moving into the fraternity house in the spring semester of my freshman year and attempting to be more involved in the chapter this year, I have seen everything from the good to the bad and I have learned really what a fraternity means. Not only am I associated with the current members of Alpha Tau Omega but also the members of years past. The alumni are an essential part of any organization. I have friends currently on both sides of the fence; those have gone Greek and those who refer to themselves as GDI’s (God Damn Independent). Being located directly in front of the William T. Young Library, they see our house as an eye sore to their finely groomed campus but to our members and those who live in the house we would be nothing without it. Through firsthand experience, research, and personal accounts I will be able to examine what the Alpha Tau Omega house really means and how it affects people.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Good start, but I just want to remind you that your essay is about the Fraternity House, and its role on campus, not on fraternities in general. If you write an essay on positive and negative viewpoints of fraternities on campus, you will be re-writing an essay written by a thousand other students. If you, instead, focus more specifically on the role of the house within a fraternity and within the larger campus itself, analyzing how the university allocates greek space and what controversies greek housing provokes, now and in the past, then you'll have a much more unique and engaging piece. Really put us inside that PLACE.

Go to it!