Friday, October 10, 2008

Interview with a Student

Recently, I conducted an interview with a current student here at UK. Being a Greek herself, she could relate with the questions and gave some very good insight on her thoughts and opinions. Here is what was discussed:

1. When you hear the term “fraternity house”, what comes to mind?

My mind automatically compares fraternity houses to what I’ve seen in the movies and on television. I imagine constant drinking and partying, boys running around in togas, and crazy events constantly occurring such as food fights. I imagine the house to be a mess, with no one cleaning it and piles of garbage throughout the house. I picture boys running rampant, doing whatever crazy antics they please because no one is there to watch them. There is no adult supervision. I also imagine rooms designated for certain fraternity rituals, with things such as skull and crossbones, candles, and other ritual things. I also picture rooms for hazing, which is common theme of fraternities, at least in the media. I honestly don’t know how anyone would get any work done or how they would even be able to keep up with school if they lived in a fraternity house.

2. What is your aesthetic opinion of the Alpha Tau Omega house?

I actually like the look of the house. It has a very neat colonial look to it. The porch is also nice. When walking to the library I often see people outside on the patio having a good time and blasting music. You can tell however the house is quite old. The front steps are decrepit and falling apart. Some of the wood looks very bad. But I like the unique look of the house. It stands out and looks better than those in the 6-pack.

3. Have you ever been in a fraternity house?

Yes, I went in a fraternity house at Miami University in Ohio. It wasn’t like I expected. It looked like something out of Martha’s Vineyard with ivy and stone. The house seemed very stuff and fake.

4. What is your opinion on the university wanting to relocate the ATO house?

Obviously the relocation of the ATO house doesn’t really affect me. I could see how the university might think that the ATO house is a nuisance in front of their multi-million dollar library. Or maybe the school wants more space for other things. It seems like the university is trying to clean up the campus and get ride of their partying image and maybe they are doing this by getting rid of the visible fraternity houses, since they are also tearing down the 6-pack. But I think the presence of Greek life is important on any campus. It adds character and uniqueness.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I found it surprising that your interviewee had the "Animal House" impression of a fraternity house even though she's Greek herself. Do you think there's a difference in perception between the actual frat houses and the frat members?

What does UK want to use the ATO house land for?

What do you think will happen as fraternity houses get pushed further and further off campus? Are there some fraternity houses on campus, and some on? Do they have to abide by different rules? (Dry vs. not dry?)

Keep at it.